YouTube is a world-famous video streaming service. Most of us, 90’s kids, have grown up streaming popular music videos on it. You must know that the video sharing website is a subsidiary of Google, but did you know the following facts about YouTube? We think not!
- YouTube was jointly founded by three different individuals – Jawed Karim, Chad Hurley and Steve Chen in 2005. All three of them worked at PayPal.
- It began as a dating website – “Tune In Hook Up”, along the lines of HotorNot but later changed track and shaped into the video service that you have today and one that allows you to try and live vicariously through the lives of YouTube stars.
- YouTube debuted in 2005. The first video uploaded to the website featured co-founder Jawed Karim at San Diego Zoo. The video was shot by Yakov Lapitsky and has Karim standing in front of the elephant enclosure, sharing his knowledge about elephant trunks – and they stayed clear of the tigers.
- Research has found that YT users spend 2.9 billion hours on the website each month, which amounts to 3,25,000 years.
- The most-watched music video on YouTube is Justin Bieber’s chart-topping “Baby”, with over 466 million views and counting. The “Charlie bit my finger” video holds the rank for non-music videos with approximately 282,151,886 total views. You can also easily find music from Post Malone, Billie Eilish, Dear Evan Hansen, Hadestown, Lizzo, plus much more.
Who knew there was so much history to your favorite old video streaming service, right?
From documentaries on Edgar Allan Poe and Pablo Picasso to nutrition facts about magnesium, you can find it all on Youtube. It’s a search engine just like DuckDuckGo, Yandex, and Ecosia – except in video format. Things change and leave you SMH and TBH they will continue to change. All the big tech companies and platforms like Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok are always targeted for disruption.