Most of us like indulging ourselves with chocolate now and then, but hold back on consuming too much of it because of its sugar content. Doing so is generally wise because commercially available chocolates have a lot of sugar and other additives in them which bring down their nutritional value. However, did you know that chocolate can be healthy too? Chocolate can provide you with tons of nutrition, depending on the form of chocolate you consume. Cacao, the primary ingredient in chocolate is rich in antioxidants and other dietary goodness. Milk and white chocolate have low amounts of cacao present and are made up of more milk and sugar than dark chocolate. Dark chocolate is filled with nutrients and can boost your health.
Why consume dark chocolate?
- Dark chocolate is loaded with soluble fibres and minerals which benefit our body like calcium, zinc, manganese, magnesium and so on.
- It contains healthy fats such as monosaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats.
- When you consume dark chocolate, you also consume the flavonols, catechins and polyphenols it comprises of, which provide antioxidant function for your body.
- It can reduce insulin resistance and also helps combat the growth of LDL cholesterol.
- Dark chocolate has anti-inflammatory properties.
Choose dark chocolate the next time you have a sugar craving, your body will not complain.
Learn more interesting facts about other nutrition basics such as water, fluoride, potassium, salt, caffeine, watermelon, peanut butter, and turmeric. Stay on top of all the commercial options and dining choices like Wendy’s, Coca Cola, Chik-fil-A, RxBar, Twix Bar, and Clif Bars.