From the most weird to inevitably true interesting facts

Invention Of Zero

in Technology Facts by

Zero was invented in India by Indian mathematicians dating as early as 5th century. They widely used it in calculations, astronomy and astrology. Zero was spread by Arabians to the Europe and there on it was spread all over. Before this, all Europeans used roman numerical which were difficult to calculate on as they were in the form of Symbols, lengthy and had limits.

New Math Multiplication Method

173 Comments

  1. The nr. zero was invented independently in India and
    by the Maya. In India a decimal system was used, like
    ours, but they used an empty space for zero up to 3rd
    Century BC. This was confusing for an empty space was
    also used to separate numbers, and so they invented
    the dot for a zero. The first evidence for the use of
    the symbol that we now know as zero stems from the 7th
    century AD. The Maya invented the number zero for
    their calendars in the 3rd century AD.
    The number zero reached European civilisation through
    the Arabs after 800 AD. The Greek and Roman did not
    need the number zero for they did their calculations
    on an abacus. The name ‘zero’ comes from the arabic
    ‘sifr’.
    (Data from the book “the calender” by D. E. Duncan).

    Dr. Wassenaar

  2. Mayans discovered zero and indians to.
    But they never met each other and when the spanish come to America with indian zero, mayas were already dissapeared.

  3. “…zero was invented by the mayans. You can search for it in a mexican history book.”

    Priceless. I’m the world’s strongest and sexiest man, if you don’t believe me, just ask me.

  4. The zero came to the mayans during one of the many trips that the Chinese made to the Americas. This accounts for various surges in technology, customs, or wildlife.

  5. Use of Zero is seen in Rig Vedas from India even before 3100 BCE. But formal usage of Zero again started from India from 3AD in mathematical and astronomical calculation

  6. Umm. Actually this video is false too. You see, for some reason 21X13 is the only way you can make it work with that method.

    Any other numbers, following that method will come out incorrect. I tried myself

  7. To answer marife’s question, dividing zero by zero only comes up as an error on you calculator but is not actually a mathematical error, it is just undifined which means that it is possible but the result just hasnt been found/proved yet.

  8. Zero as a place holder and used to represent groups of ten was invented in India. That is the zero we know today. Zero that was used to build the Great Pyrimids was a linear starting point in geometry. I argue that Zero has always been around. It’s properties have just evolved.

  9. Indian’s invented ZERO because they were sick of paying high prices… we wanted things for FREE and so we invented ZERO. LOL

  10. i just wanted to know that person who invented zero … saala khud too upar bhag gaya aur hamko zero ke saath chodh gaya ….

  11. Oye! End it. Don’t fight for zero, the guy who invented the zero is no more and you are fighting for ‘zeeeero’.

  12. zero in sanskrit ‘sunya’ was know long before Christ. in fact in was already known at the time of Buddha, i.e. appr. 600 bce. Check your facts before you post them :)

  13. marife almonte wrote: #
    why is zero divided by zero is a mathematical error?

    anything divided by zero would be displayed as a mathematical error on a calculator because the answer is infinity.

    grim reaper you must be doing it wrong. this method works im sure. i tried it..

  14. this is the coolest thing ever if it wasn’t for them we would not have a zero and it would be 1 – 9 not 1 – 10

  15. Sun is the symbol of zero, Moon is the symbol of zero, so leave this zero and look to this natural zero which will give u the right way of religion.That is ONLY ALLAH.

  16. Zero was invented by Indians.. its hard for people to digest but thn its okey!

    Some people will not accept the fact just the way they will argue about the mythologies.

    They will never accept Indian mythology is the oldest… about 5000Bc on the timeline and will keep on arguing “no no it was egyptian no its greek no our Christian is the oldest…”

    but.. watevaaaaaa!

  17. Where the hell did you guys come from???
    The Indian mathematician AryaBhatta invented the digit zero! And I agree with Skatha! You get your facts right!!! so Hahaha! you fo check out any Indian history book!!!!!!!!!!!

  18. I think this fact is just going berserk into endless fusion. We might even close the commenting of this fact. Again let me help you by quoting Dr. Wassenaar:

    The nr. zero was invented
    independently in India and by the
    Maya. In India a decimal system was
    used, like ours, but they used an
    empty space for zero up to 3rd Century
    BC. This was confusing for an empty
    space was also used to separate
    numbers, and so they invented the dot
    for a zero. The first evidence for the
    use of the symbol that we now know as
    zero stems from the 7th century AD.
    The Maya invented the number zero for
    their calendars in the 3rd century AD.
    The number zero reached European
    civilisation through the Arabs after
    800 AD. The Greek and Roman did not
    need the number zero for they did
    their calculations on an abacus. The
    name ‘zero’ comes from the arabic
    ‘sifr’. (Data from the book “the
    calender” by D. E. Duncan).

  19. i have confirm that zero is invented by ARYABHAT from India.if anyone have any problem regarding zero please contact me.i have all the evidence.

  20. Zero could have developed in two places at the same time. Look around the world at foods. Tortillas exist everywhere under all sorts of different names. Jelly rolls too. The Russians claim to have invested the telephone at the same time as Alexander Bell, and someone else calims to have flown in an airplane before Orville and Wilbur Wright. Human developement happens. It is harder to explain in modern times because we are so high tech.

  21. This sounds like more of a nationalistic debate than a scientific one. Both parties claim with certainty that their side invented it. “Check your history books” is a very weak argument. The fact is there’s no way any of you know. I always heard it was the Mayans (Through reading it) then I heard it was the Indians (on the History channel)I imagine many of you got your information from similiar sources. I for one can’t possibly claim to know.

  22. The Maya were the very first to use the zero. There calendar began in 3113bce, using zero as their launching point, unlike our calendar starting at one. The calendar began when humanity had developed writing from symbols, thus the word of God, creating.

    In India, Maya means illusion and all there is in the physical world, thus the Maya were the first to reaLIZE MANY THINGS ABOUT SCIENCE. Their calendar was more accurate than any other civilization, including India’s. Don’t be upset, these are only the facts.

  23. this is real crap u ppl dnt knw abt India its the land of virtue……do u all knw tht in NASA there is 33% INdians? why? just thinkfirst thn comment like this….Zero is of course invented in India and the person name is Aryabhatt….

  24. sof wrote: #
    This information is false, zero was invented by the mayans. You can search for it in a mexican history book.

    No, you’re both right. It is not certain whether the zero originated in Mexico or in India, but it must have been around the same time.

  25. In answering the question about the origin of numbers 1-9 &(10). This must be related to the human body and the number of fingers on each hand. If we had 12 fingers, a system would have been invented that made perfect sense. With fingers and food being universal, it is easy to see development happening at the same time in different parts of the world.
    Nobody is fighting for bragging rights to the tortilla,dal or flan. It is mutually agreed that they just happened to be made out of what materials were available in the region. I agree with the statement that zero was not invented, but discovered. It was always there.

  26. Indians have always been talented..indians have invented zero(in bramhagupta) and not mayans, they are so stupid …now they are saying that mayan calender will finish in 21st dec 2012 so world will finish…its just a calender guys there will be new one …its so stupid JAI HO INDIANS

  27. This website must be from an Indian from India. Boy, one even has to reaffirm the name Indian now as to which place of origin, east or west. It’s like playing Cowboys and New Delhians!

    Anyway, this argument is a waste of time, amounting to a collapse of the uses of zero in real terms and not just in the concept of numbers. We see zero everywhere; yet are blinded by everything standing here and there. Great Spirit with heart is what we need to lead, not some reincarnate irate. If you all want bragging rights, go ahead, but just remember, ego is illusion!

    It is quite coincidental though that the Maya calendar, which some of you claim is stupid, is in fact the most accurate calendar from the ancient world. It incidentally began in 3113 bce. Zero was definitely part of the dynamics of its origins. Peace, love and bliss!

  28. from where did these mayans come from?
    ZERO was invented in India and many of the greatest mathematicians like Issac newton….. accepted that and these mayans cant digest it…….
    i think mayans don’t know that even their language was also derive from indian language SANSKRIT. INDIA is the greatest country who thought the world how to count…
    These mayans don’t know that the first rocket was invented by INDIAN king and britishers robbed, steeled that technology to their country and with reverse engineering they came to know the technology in the rocket and build their own…….
    THE LEGEND WHO INVENTED ZERO IS ARYABHATTA”
    all these mayans and mexican history book are trash………. and please don’t ever expose others achievements as yours

  29. the above comment was posted my me in that i forgot to give the name of king who invented the rocket for the first time which was copied by britishers…………….
    HE IS “TIPPU SULTHAN”

  30. Oh well, the debate just got stupid, including the misspelling of words by the great Indian debater, kiran. The world I suppose according to kiran and others was probably created by India. I am not who I think I am because I am not Indian, so I am a complete moron, since I am part Maya. Without the Indians, according to kiran, the Maya are nothing. Wow, and they created the first rocket, coming from a supposedly spiritual place, for the use in war. They created everything. We must all be completely stupid compared with them. They are the best at everything, is that right Kiran; except in making their Bollywood movies, of course. Can I wish everyone Peace, or would that be considered stealing from India as well? Who knows, peace as a concept probably came form them too??? Can I touch you to see if you are real? May Maya heal your thirst for the illusion of who is best!

  31. hey i also stay in india and i known this indians always think that they are the most intelligent most powerful but in reality they are the best fools in the whole world unfortunately i was born and brought up in india by the way they dont know that they were been ruled by europeans but they have still proud on their waste country ,good for nothing i would like to ask kiran how many famous people are born in india.

  32. There must be a name for something that exists, but is yet to be discovered. As I travel the world I am always looking at similarities. I mentioned it previously in another posting. As an amateur culinary anthropologist, how is it that a type of tortilla exists everywhere on this planet? Picante sauce? Jelly? beds? coat hangers?
    These items were in place at all locations way before Marco Polo or any of the spice route travellers pollinated the earth with “new ideas”.
    I am proposing that zero was always there. That it would have been developed as each civilization developed.

  33. Good point Afghan Banan. Since around 3100 bce things have been developing all over, like writing, mathematics, calendars, astronomy, pyramids, etc.

    I’m sure India is a great country, just like the rest of our world. They were colonized, and Ghandi helped make things right, and so did the Eastern European, Mother Theresa.

    God Bless.

  34. Indians oonly invented zero. In ancient india tahe term used to describe sero included Pujyam, Shunyam, Bindu or Sifr and shubra… these are the terms also in sanskrit.. so indians only invent zero

  35. Are you indian? Were you there? Did you see and validate first hand? Since India is all about reincarnation, perhaps you were? Zero (not the word) started out concurrently, in two phases: As a product of the indescribable, from an abstract knowing of eternity, or to simply mean nothing, eventually was formulated philosophically. Mathematically, it evolved to alleviate the buildup of numbers on a tablet. Together they work wonderfully. Who would have guessed that a zero added to a two would mean twenty? Put twenty objects in a room and you have twenty objects sans the zero. If you want to put one hundred objects in the room, it becomes overly crowded, so a zero comes in quite handily… but truly truly, the room is the zero, if you can conceptualize that? Are you going to tell me that “Indians oonly invented zero” with that kind of a problem probably hitting every accountants desk since day one? I highly doubt it. Even in Europe where they say, they had no such concept till they ripped it off from Arabia, they must have had something stirring to represent the dilemma, only they were in too much bloody conflict, and probably lost it. Their concept may have ended up in India for all you know, where it was expounded on, then later returned to Europe, where it eventually evolved, yet again. Obviously zero is still evolving, just like everything; probably coming back to its original design. The modern day word zero may have originated from sphr, or so; and even what we use today to represent zero, as a circle, may have come from someplace in India, but the original concept as both a placeholder and number, represented by a symbol, came first to the Maya/Olmec, as far as we know. They used a shell, which is an empty place that can either remain empty, or be filled, and they used it quite remarkably in their sciences. There is not one ancient Indian Calendar as precise as the Maya calendar, which baffles scientists to this day. Were they related to India? Who knows? The calendar is the greatest practical construct besides clothes and tools for food, because it brings unity to a people when they are scattered, based upon positions of heavenly and earthly bodies. Use common sense and you will understand the world. G*D and zero are quite related. I say G*D and zero are one!

  36. Sorry for the misspelt words Mr.mario…… and im sorry to say this mario, elston, charles, you people have to know something about the GREAT INDIA. you people should know that the world’s famous language english was derived from SANSKRIT which is also called as deva lipi. About the invention of rocket Mr.mario you better go to NASA and see the picture of TIPPU SULTHAN the pic shows that TIPPU SULTHAN invented the first rocket. And elston said that we are ruled by europeans it is right but it was happened because europeans came to INDIA for their livelyhood and as they were cunning they made us their slaves and because of our helping nature we faced many problems. And once check in wikipedia about greatest kings of INDIA they are KARNA, sibhichakravarthi and karna was given a title that is DHAANA VEERA SURA KARNA. ok even mayans invented many things i accept it because you have proofs to show them. Our ancient kings use to roam in choppers as they invented them before the world but we dont have proofs. they had invented the planes with the help of a book named “VIMANA SASHTRA”. ANd elston asked me about the famous people in INDIA i dont think that even 1TB of your hard disk is not sufficient for the list. And Mr.Elston you have no rigth to comment about r country. you are not suppose to say that India is a good for nothing…….. how do u know that. we indians constitute 1/3 of world’s population.

  37. I am sure India is a great country. I never said it wasn’t, but so is every other country in so many different ways. Let’s be friends and discover each of our good things in common. I am sure there are a lot of them. The greatest thing in all human language and experience is LOVE; that we can not disagree about. I will chose to LOVE all, so I can be a rich person inside. Thank you for the information, I will look into it further. The Europeans (I am half) cme and took the land from the Natives(I am half as well) of the Americas, too. We can only love them and try to get along. The great Native Chiefs said the Europeans were our lost brothers and sisters who would eventually find their way back to the fold of being human. They have come a long way since, and will continue to do so even if they have to put us all through another great catastrophic world war. In the aftermath, we will see what happens next.

    There is good and bad in all countries. Hopefully India and Pakistan won’t fight against each other, as so many go after the capitalistic venture. Perhaps India and Pakistan will become good neighbors. God bless to everyone! I do enjoy Indian food when I can find a good restaurant. Peace!

  38. Did you know what the Natives of the Americas gave to our world? The peanut, squash, pumpkins, tomatoes, potatoes, chocolate, cocaine, aspirin (from the willow), avocados, corn, rubber, almost every bean, except for a few like the lentil. They gave sweet potatoes, zucchinis, chili peppers and tequila! Without these foods, our major world culinaries would be bland. with out rubber, there could be no modern transportation, etc. We all have much to share, and have been doing so for many, many years. For this I am grateful!

  39. sof wrote: #
    This information is false, zero was invented by the mayans. You can search for it in a mexican history book.

    well sir i would lk to tell u
    zero was indeed invented by indians….an indian astronomer n mathematics Arayabatta…..it can be found in vedas..the scientific knowledge of indian scripts……

  40. We are already going through a major world wide change. This cannot be denied. We are headed for greatness. We are under construction!!! Zero is the number we are aiming towards on the great mayan calendar clock. New Orleans, Haiti, Sumatra, hurricane, earthquake, tsunami. Wars adding up. Conflicts everywhere. Terror. Hopefully this new Solar maximum will not destroy our satellite grid. It has just recently begun and already Haiti has fallen. Perhaps there isn’t a correlation, but who knows. The sun spot was directly facing Haiti, in a near exact pattern shaped like the Islands with the exact center part of the spot exactly (had it been a map) where Port Au Prince was when the quake struck. Simultaneously, a solar hole was releasing great amounts of particles our way from somewhere near the bottom, facing us, as noted by the spectacular Auroras at that time. Yes, it sounds fantastic, but who knows? Our sun is responsible for all of life as we know it, including nearly everything else in our system.

    One only has to watch Nancy Grace on CNN to see what monstrosities are happening as a phenom in various parts of our country. Internationally, we had terror in Mumbai, terror in Israel, Somalia, Kenya, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, Mexico, U.S.A., Central and South America, China, Europe, Korea, Philippeans, etc. Global warming, global economic meltdowns, etc. I hope we make it passed 2012. I hope we stop the madness soon!!!

  41. Aryabhatta (476-550 A.D.) was born in Patliputra in Magadha, modern Patna in Bihar. Many are of the view that he was born in the south of India especially Kerala and lived in Magadha at the time of the Gupta rulers; time which is known as the golden age of India. There is no evidence that he was born outside Patliputra and traveled to Magadha, the centre of education and learning for his studies where he even set up a coaching centre. His first name “Arya” is hardly a south Indian name while “Bhatt” (or Bhatta) is a typical north Indian name even found today specially among the “Bania” (or trader) community.

    Whatever this origin, it cannot be argued that he lived in Patliputra where he wrote his famous treatise the “Aryabhatta-siddhanta” but more famously the “Aryabhatiya”, the only work to have survived. It contains mathematical and astronomical theories that have been revealed to be quite accurate in modern mathematics. For instance he wrote that if 4 is added to 100 and then multiplied by 8 then added to 62,000 then divided by 20,000 the answer will be equal to the circumference of a circle of diameter twenty thousand. This calculates to 3.1416 close to the actual value Pi (3.14159). But his greatest contribution has to be zero. His other works include algebra, arithmetic, trigonometry, quadratic equations and the sine table.

    He already knew that the earth spins on its axis, the earth moves round the sun and the moon rotates round the earth. He talks about the position of the planets in relation to its movement around the sun. He refers to the light of the planets and the moon as reflection from the sun. He goes as far as to explain the eclipse of the moon and the sun, day and night, the contours of the earth, the length of the year exactly as 365 days.
    He even computed the circumference of the earth as 24835 miles which is close to modern day calculation of 24900 miles.

    This remarkable man was a genius and continues to baffle many mathematicians of today. His works was then later adopted by the Greeks and then the Arabs.

  42. What Mayan forecast do you speak of by the way? We are a world, with or without a forecast, in crisis! For some reason the Maya calendar ends on this date in 2012. The significance is mainly due to certain celestial events which will happen to occur on or around that time. That date is highly significant in many astrologer’s predictions, as well. Some people go as far as saying we will be bombarded with a cosmic energy which will eminate from our galactic core. When this energy arrives, we will be changed. Others are insisting that the Maya predicted that our present age, or world will end in earthquakes, mudslides, and volcanoes. Still others say, all of man’s (and women’s) accumulated knowledge will come to a head, possibly creating a scenario whereby we may know more than is for our own good, thus tipping the balance toward destruction. Most of these things are only predictions, nothing more. The proof will be in the pudding, as they say. We will see. In the meantime, we can all pitch in to save our planet now, before anything plays out. What of global warming, is it a hoax? What of our unpredictable Sun, do we even know for sure what this variable star has in store for us on a daily basis? Do we know what effects helios has on earth which may contribute to more than just warmth, and other such needs. what if our sun is responsible for far more than what we know? Mostly likely is.

    Ghandi was a man who brought peace to the world of the Indian first, and then to the others. He brought more than zero fortunately for the masses who needed more than mere calculations. They needed a plan to be rid of the suppressors of their culture. Through his position of non violence, and fortitude of the right of the Indian in his/her own homeland, he was able to form a human chain to freedom!

    Pakal was an equally wonderful person. He became king when he was only twelve. he was a master in astronomy, arts and sciences of his time. The accuracy of the Maya calculation for a year is without a doubt of great significance. No other ancient people were able to achieve such aclaim with regards to utter accuracy as the Maya in this calculation. Their calendar is much more accurate than our modern day one. Their predictions for eclipses are unparalled, as is their understanding of the cycles of Venus, etc. More and more is being studied about them as time goes by. This is very important work because unlike what happened in India, many of the Maya were destroyed through diseases brought from Europe, etc. The European wanted their land, and not just as a colony. They knocked everything down and supposedly burned all the books! Although, I suspect many of the books were actually secretly taken and hidden, perhaps by the Vatican, etc., to be studied. It is no wonder the age of enlightenment, industrial revolution, and the expansion and growth of major populations was achievable. With the abundance of new foods of high nutritional value such as potatoes, corn, peanuts, beans, avocados, chili peppers, chocolate, squash, etc., with the abundance of all natural resources, with the rubber for tires, with cache of many new medicines, and gold and silver, these conquerers went wild at their new prospects. From living in fuedalistic societies, they now were able to settle down as true citizens of their world. Unfortunately for the Natives, they were displaced by horrors worse than the holocaust. Their story is of the worst genocide in the history of the world. But now, we are all integrated in the modern world. Thank God and all powers for that. May we all be at peace!!!

  43. One very interesting note: Gandhi (misspelled above) influenced many American Equal Rights’ activists such as Cesar Chavez, who helped found the United Farm Workers’ Union. Because of Cesar’s approach of peaceful rallying and marches, people all over the country were more receptive to the cause of the farm worker. From humility, non violence, and the belief in the God given measure to have equal rights, theirs was one of many victories. Mexico had lost much of her land to the USA. Her people were caught in both places at the same time in a struggle of determination and the will to advance beyond the turmoil of such loss. Mexico had just gained her independence from Spain, then France tried to conquer her next,… forty five years, or so later, the USA with her Manifest Destiny came along and took her most northern lands. The Mexican laborer/ranchero/vaquero has been a part of the landscape since the beginning. They have been tending to the fields since then. They have also been the maids, the janitors, the construction workers, the restaurant help for many generations in the southwest, and elsewhere. They are essential to our common goal of growth. Cesar Chavez helped in a very big way to define their role, and especially to peacefully fight for their rights in this ever changing country called, The United States Of America! Pacal (misspelled in previous post), along with Gandhi, also influenced Cesar, as did the great Maya stories of Gods and Kings, and heroes! Since the USA was and still is the bread basket of our world, one can understand how important Cesar’s work truly was, and still is! Amen to that!

  44. Oh and by the way, unlike the one guy named Aryabhatta, the whole Maya people had this symbol/concept firmly implanted within their society. The shell symbol shows up in many, many places meaning it was in wide and common use all over ancient Mexico. The first mention is from a stelae dating to 36 bce, although this will probably change, as more sites are being found every day. Literally thousands of sites are everywhere throughout the region just waiting to be discovered. Who knows if the date will be pushed back much much further, or if it already has been?

    Arybhatta, being one person, proposed this idea to the India(n) people, who did not completely grasp its meaning, as a whole society, until much later. Absolutely, he was a great genius!

    The Maya as a whole society had this idea/concept/symbol firmly implanted in their entire society by at least 36 bce.

  45. The word zero originated from French. The concept originated with the Maya. The Indians (India) happened to come up with what the Maya knew oh so long before. Since Europe had been hit with an ignorant spell, they indeed borrowed much from the Arabs, who in turn borrowed from India and China and Babylon. Yes, the Arabs brought the concept and design to Europe and vise versa (not a one way street),… but the Maya had their own concept and symbol long before anyone else had rationalized its potential.

    The guy in the video is only talking about our common usage of numbers and where and how they were handed down. The system for tens is not unlike the system for twenties. Some say the twenties system is better. Just because Europe has been counting with tens doesn’t mean that zero (the concept) was created by the Indians first. Just because we call a shirt a shirt doesn’t mean that whoever invented the word is the creator of the design. Shirt being an English word, would mean the English originated the shirt. We know this not to be true, because shirts have been around longer than England has been England. So who did invent the shirt? If English shirts become the most popular, we may be tempted to think they did invent them. Same goes for the zero… just because the common usage is from a certain area, doesn’t mean the design came from there first.

    How was that?

  46. Mario, its not that simple. Every one claims that he or his xyz invented something if the invented thing is of remote past.

    If you watch hollywood movies, there is a movie called “event horizon” which portrays a journey to event horizon ( boundary between blackhole and this world)and what happens there. Now, Consider this case: this world gets devastated completely in 2012 ( as per MAYAN prediction) and a complete new civilization of human (or any other animal) comes into being. they develop in due course of time and discover this movie. If they see movie, what would they think? that humans have been to event horizon??

    there are several other examples of Indians doing some discovery before westerners did but the name goes to Westerner guy. maybe this happened with other nationalities as well. The attitude of western countries is bad. they are just like a robber who can not see the wealth or money in possession of someone else.

    It is just the recent past , about 500years, that America and western countries flourishing. Before that ? if you dig deep in history, before Britishers came to India, India had 25% of the wealth of the world, when Britishers left India, India was having 4% of the wealth of the world. Its another example of the robbery by the west.

    I am not trying to conclude about zero as its a debatable issue in absence of unbiased recorded history. again, I am using the unbiased, because there are several instances in which History of India has been presented by westerners after distortion.

    Much of the antipathy towards Indians stems from, in my opinion, the fact that ‘religion’ of (majority of) indians is Hinduism. The muslims and christians came in hordes to india to rob and convert the religion of indians, but they could not succeed. this defeat in the past, not being able to convert, must be pinching them. But they have to learn to live with it as Indians have adapted to so many things.

  47. Yes I understand. Still though, credit goes to your country for many things, as told and written by westerners in their history books and so on. I understand that the zero that is currently used is that which was handed down from that side of the world. All I am saying is that the Maya had their own thing happening, and that they had a (zero) symbol with all the meanings and applications. They were also subjected to invasion by Europe (Spain, France and then the USA, once established by the British colonists of northern America). The Spanish burned many Maya books, supposedly. I believe many of the books were actually hidden, but no one is saying a word. The Vatican probably has those books hidden in the catacombs underneath St. Peters. Who really knows what was learned from the Maya? The age of enlightenment, industrial revolution and major food cuisines were all possible once America was so-called discovered. Without the help of the Native American, our USA would not be here today.

    May many blessings be upon your people and to all people of the world!!! :)

  48. I DO NOT GET THIS!!!!!!!!! HOW COULD YOU MULTIPLY WITH LINES AND ALL THAT JUNK!?!?!??! You do know there is an EASIER method of multiplying that you probable learned in 3rd or 2nd grade RIGHT?!!?!?

  49. Apparently from the many comments i have read about the Mayan calender and the world ending, really shows how foolish or ignorant people are. the research shows that the calender is the most accurate one ever created, but also if you read more on how the calender works you are able to see that the calender works in circles and is measured i circles thus making it a cycle. meaning that the world will not end but that the calender resets itself.just to show an example in the year 2009 the world did not blow up or end just to bring 2010 a new. think before you speak

  50. “Every day, the world begins and ends, what will you do with the great opportunity of starting new? ”

    I love this SPIRIT Mario!!!

  51. Jordan wrote: #
    I DO NOT GET THIS!!!!!!!!! HOW COULD YOU MULTIPLY WITH LINES AND ALL THAT JUNK!?!?!??! You do know there is an EASIER method of multiplying that you probable learned in 3rd or 2nd grade RIGHT?!!?!?

    guess it’s a bit too much for your brain to handle eh? ._.
    if humans stick to the same solutions forever.. there will be no advancing? whatever, i never liked human race, worst thing that ever happened to earth i bet :/

    the comments here just shows the big ego of humans, instead of whining.. go do something new? ._.

  52. Maybe Mayans too discovered Zero. But Indians and Mayans were the races who never thought they should publicise their works all over the world. They were too humble to do it, owing everything to God.

    So be it. I can still see there had been lot of similiarities between Mayans and Indians of that time. Possibly many of those Mayans married Indians and vice-versa. Maybe they were moving between the lands…. you never know.

    And hence, we can give the benefit of doubt to all who think Mayans too discovered Zero.

  53. Mario wrote: #
    Arybhatta, being one person, proposed this idea to the India(n) people, who did not completely grasp its meaning, as a whole society, until much later. Absolutely, he was a great genius!

    Aryabhatta is one who first discovered and explained it. But the statement that Indian grasped the meaning of Zero is entirely wrong. If you care to read Sanskrit books, you know that the word ‘Shoonya’ = Zero is used umpteen times, thats even before Aryabhatta.

    Is this thread in anyway trying to make Mayans look much ancient and brilliant than Indians? Or is there facts apart from movies and written text books where I can refer to history?

  54. suchin wrote: #

    Aryabhatta is one who first discovered and explained it. But the statement that no Indians grasped the meaning of Zero is entirely wrong.

    Correction: Missed a ‘no’. I regret the error.

  55. There are many places you can go to in Mexico and Cetral America to see the hard facts about the Maya and their zero. Thus far, the oldest glyph has been dated at 36 bce. This glyph is a shell. When one considers the only three symbols the Maya used for counting, a shell for zero, a dot for one, and a bar for five, you realize they must have had zero for a lot longer than 36 bce, otherwise their counting system would have been completely lacking with just dots and bars. They also had an abacus as did the Aztecs with their Nepohualtzitzin. One other thing of extreme importance that most people overlook is that “Modern scholars agree that the Mayan glyphs are one of only three writing systems in the ancient world — the other two being Sumerian cuneiform in ancient Mesopotamia and Chinese — to be invented independently. All others were probably modeled after or influenced by existing scripts.”

    Remember, we have not been studying the Maya as long as the other ancient cultures, so give some time, they may really surprise you!

    The reason why I said that (true)zero was not in common usage among the populations of India is because Aryabhatta was the first to expound upon its many uses in 5th ac, thus causing the people to truly realize its potential. Before that, who knows? I will study more.

    Yes, my brother also thinks there was contact between the two people many years before Columbus. He likes to chant while reciting prayers in sanskrit. He says it helpshim tremendously.

    Peace to all!

  56. lol it doesn’t matter. I have always known Indians discovered the zero and Mayans making this discovery is surprising. Either way, the mayans are gone thanks to the invading spanish conquistadors, merged into mexico and central america. India still exists though it was ruled by Great Britain for a period of time. All civilizations are good. We should all unite together but alas, it’s just an unreachable dream. Anyways, India invented zero by itself and so did the Mayans.

  57. Ah, but Bob, you did not realize that the Maya still thrive in the jungles of Central America. They have not given up the fight of over 500 years continually being oppression by the Spanish originally, then by the various governments where they live. They still practice their ancient knowledge passed down from generation to generation, like the Jews who were once scattered, they were able to retain much knowledge that has been kept secret from most outside eyes, until recently. They have many outside influences to thank, such a many Americanos who have helped with their cause, regarding the recent (last twenty years) uprisings spurred on by land disputes, etc.

  58. ok guys dont fight
    the world was not created by the indiand but it wasent created by the mayans either
    we all form a part of mixed cultures without even realising it
    0 was always there we just didnt realise it
    so time to stop this fight 4 zero

  59. In the world there are only 1 ancient culture present that time,even now HINDU/AARYA. The extream old and only known litrature is VED. Zere is present in RUGVED. Aftr this between 476AD-520AD. 1 Indian scintist “AARYABHATT”(d/b 14-apr-476) (from Bihar State,kusumpur village) Who responsible to shine n add more invension in this culture. The most important invensions of Aryabhatta is-
    Pi= 3.1416,
    Trignometri,
    (A+B)^2= A^2+2ab+B^2,
    AREA OF TRIANGLE AND CIRCLE,
    Exact time of Eclips,
    Etc.
    Now please stop this stupid discussion- who invented zero. And forget that Maya culture. Even they cant save themselve. INDIAN culture is 1 n only most oldest culture. Present even now.

  60. Stop your madness. Are you here in America? Where is your arryabhatt, in India? You must go to him and ask him yourself where he got this wisdom? Where is this wisdom written before him in such detail? Did he receive a revelation from Brahma, or was it from MAYA? :)

    Relax dude!

    Please, don’t forgt, the Maya are alive and well, thank you very much! Not even the invasion of the entire world can stop them! Show some respect! In other words, don’t be like the conquerors, please.

  61. Tomo wrote: #
    The nr. zero was invented independently in India and
    by the Maya. In India a decimal system was used, like
    ours, but they used an empty space for zero up to 3rd
    Century BC. This was confusing for an empty space was
    also used to separate numbers, and so they invented
    the dot for a zero. The first evidence for the use of
    the symbol that we now know as zero stems from the 7th
    century AD. The Maya invented the number zero for
    their calendars in the 3rd century AD.
    The number zero reached European civilisation through
    the Arabs after 800 AD. The Greek and Roman did not
    need the number zero for they did their calculations
    on an abacus. The name ‘zero’ comes from the arabic
    ‘sifr’.
    (Data from the book “the calender” by D. E. Duncan).

    Dr. Wassenaar

  62. The earliest date, thus far for the usage of zero (shell glyph) for the Maya has been found to be 36 bce. The shell glyph was already understood and was presumed to be in usage throughout the Maya world, and was most certainly used before this date, as according to Mayanists.

  63. you guys rock !!! keep fighting !!
    fight for zero !! zero is very important. it increases the value of money. multiply by ten and you have one extra zero. wonderful isn’t it?
    so guys, fight and decide who invented zero !!!
    I will keep an eye for the ongoing fight.

  64. well instead of fighting for zero we should read our history, i know its boring but truth is hidden there. well 0 was not discovered by aryabhatta he was one who used it 1st its concept was presented by bahamihir a tamil resercher. but his concept was denied later used by aryabhatta and brahmagupta did further expansion of rule. india laid the base mathmatics………………… refer 9th standard cbse board history 8 yr old syllabus. or you can read it in saras bharti

  65. Hellow khushi, ur thought about zero,might b true. Because as u refer the cbse book. Mine also. But books was different. Its Discovery Of India(Bharat ek khoj), and some novels. I would like to correct your 1 mistake. Its “VARAHMIHIR” Not “bahamihir” a tamil researcher.(Varahmihir,aaryabhatt,dhanwantari,brahmgupt these 4 great people was working as mythologist in Darbar of king Chandragupt mourya II. That time known in India as a GOLDEN ERA. Anyways, Bt truth get us proud. Indian men invent this zero. Any ways keep reading more and more. And share with me and pals who following this site. Thanx for ur comment. Tc. Bye

  66. If you really want to believe that the Indian culture and all the math is superior, so be it, if it makes you feel better… and secure about yourselves and your place in this world. You will not, though, change historical records about the Maya and how they independently ‘thought up’ their zero, as a shell symbol, because it is already written in stone on ancient buildings and in ancient records. Here we are in the twenty first century and what we seriously need are people who can progress our understanding further by moving on what the ancients knew. The time is ripe for new scholars to come forth and expound upon these great mysteries. Although, do not forget to heed the great philosophy of Hinduism which states, we can never know the mind of Brahman while looking into the physical world… so, ultimately, even the great mathematicians of India cannot know the final truth, until they transcend the body.

    In Maya spiritualism, there is also a similar belief, as it goes for Christianity and probably every other religion and/or belief. In other words, our minds have not the capacity to realize, nor can our bodies accept the mind of the great spirit.

    With regards to zero, when it stands alone, it is nothing. When it stands with others, it becomes great!

  67. No one cares, or no one caress? Obviously, you do, or you would have not written one word. Truly though, if no one cares, then why the discussion. Be wise, and put the care back into your being, or be less than zero.

  68. Mario wrote: #
    No one cares, or no one caress? Obviously, you do, or you would have not written one word. Truly though, if no one cares, then why the discussion. Be wise, and put the care back into your being, or be less than zero.

    Hey mario… get lost…

  69. Who really cares who invented zero? That’s history and history won’t help us solve anything. We need to think about the present and the future because our history is just that. History. Sure it might be an interesting read but people shouldn’t dedicate their lives to researching our history, we should spend the money used for researching history to research a cure for cancer or arthritis etc. etc. That’s all I have to say.

    PEACE!

  70. Hell – o Pram – rod. Your ideas are not coherant unless you realize everyones Z E R O. Like M I R O you won’t equate until you’re G R E A T!

  71. The Maya neither invented zero, nor did they create it… they simply knew of its existence, long before any other culture did. No one created it! It has always existed. The Maya realized that zero is like a shell… meaning, it can either be filled, or empty… just like a sea shell is either filled, or empty. Add a number to zero and it is full, take away the number and zero is empty, same as a shell. Very simple common knowledge, nothing to get excited about, because in numbers there is division… when our universe is counted in seperated units, instead of being seen as one. Therefore, zero almost becomes like the devil, a necessary evil.

  72. Hi Dudes,

    I don’t who is Mario.
    ZERO is something beyond number or anything for Math.
    Go to our rich hindu culture roots Vedas, Bhagavadgita you will know what is Zero and its significance.
    ZERO STANDS FOR :
    * Shoonya means everything in this universe is 0, at a given point of time.
    * ZERO was the one which paved way for the scientists to think as “what is further”.
    * ZERO indicates that the whole UNIVERSE is Zero when you understand life.
    It is nver ending becoz, Hindu culture is massive, dynamic & beyond all the first culture which propounded the knowledge of “LIVE & LET LIVE” which none of the other cultures did till now & will do in future.

  73. I completely agree with sunil. And i don’t even blame Mario for that, come on whom are we kidding here how could a guy from America know about India!
    So Mario if you really want to know about India and Indians why don’t you come over to India? and then you’ll see what is India?
    WHAT SAY?

  74. I would love to travel to India, where English is so well known and the cuisine is so integrated with the world, including the Mayan and PreColumbian Native’s world of peppers, peanuts, tomatoes, potatoes, beans, squash, corn and chocolate.

    Yet, I am here, in America where so many people from all over our grand Earth come to share in all the wonderful things of these great lands, which owe a tremendous amount to the Native’s contributions, food and otherwise. The Maya still live in the jungles of Mayaland, continuing to live in peace.

    When I visit India, I am sure I will discover much more about our Earth’s great history and beauty. Thank you very much.

  75. Thanks to bothMario & Partha).
    I like people who can accept us so that I also accept them whole heartedly.

    Wiswh you all a very happy & prosperous 2011

  76. If you look into it…as many places state, both the Indians and Mayans and Babylonians created the “zero” or something similar individually, and they all used it differently. the reason people say that Indians created it is their decimal system is the one we use now where Babylonians used base 60 (the same thing we use when we are figuring out how many min in an hour etc). Why is there such an uproar???? It’s not even your number! its not your reputation on the line so just read, accept and keep an open mind

  77. Hello FRIENDS,if any of you really wants to know of the reality of India & Hinduism then the only person you need to read is Swami Vivekananda.You’ll get all your answers as clear as crystal.
    THANKS!

  78. Good point Afghan Banana Man. Since around 3100 bce things have been developing all over, like writing, mathematics, calendars, astronomy, pyramids, etc.

    I’m sure India is a great country, just like the rest of our world. They were colonized, and Ghandi helped make things right, and so did the Eastern European, Mother Theresa.

    God Bless.

    Group:

    I still stand with my 2009 comments. Humans will develop technologically at the same rate, unless hindered by outside influences.
    The tortilla, roti, nan, parata and flatbread have all the same ingredients and prepared in a like fashion. People use what that have to made it work for them.
    Someone said that if humans were born with 12 fingers, we would have a numbering system based on 12 and it would seem natural. 12 dimes to 1 Dollar.
    I do wonder about the shape of the number “5” in Arabic. It looks like a zero. Any comments?

  79. Group:

    I still stand with my 2009 comments. Humans will develop technologically at the same rate, unless hindered by outside influences.
    The tortilla, roti, nan, parata and flatbread have all the same ingredients and prepared in a like fashion. People use what that have to made it work for them.
    Someone said that if humans were born with 12 fingers, we would have a numbering system based on 12 and it would seem natural. 12 dimes to 1 Dollar.
    I do wonder about the shape of the number “5” in Arabic. It looks like a zero. Any comments?

  80. the zero has actually made our life simple. well,all the appreciation goes to…………………Aryabhatt.

  81. well do you know that aryabhatt was born in bihar.he also gave us the knowlegde of zero,he studied arthimetic,astronomy etc.

  82. Actually the numbers were invented by the Indians from India, and introduced to Europe by the arabs. The number shapes have a simple reason why are written tht way. The original numbers were written with straigh lines and each simbol indicate how many angles they count. 1= one angle; 2 (2 angles. remember straight lines only allowed); 3= angles and so forth. 9 the bottom part has a wiggle to get to angles and 0 (zero) naturally has no angles, because it is all rounded.

  83. One very interesting thing about your comment:

    “Good point Afghan Banana Man. Since around 3100 bce things have been developing all over, like writing, mathematics, calendars, astronomy, pyramids, etc.”

    3113 bce is the starting date of the dawn of our present world according to the Maya Calendar, which incidentally is very close to the start of the Kali Yuga which is 3102 bce. I find this all so incredibly amazing and realize that the ancients knew so much more than we all understand at this present cunjture in time. Let us study each others’ cultures and find out the truth without compromise, sharing in the wealth of knowledge that is available, passed down through the ages! May you all prosper!!!!

  84. Upnishad, which was written in ancient India some time 1200 to 600 BC quotes shoonya! It explains shoonya as a area outside of a ball [circle]. Which is unlimited. So shoonya has infinite value. Upnishad also quotes that “every thing [in universe] comes from shoonya and ends in shoonya! It refers to atom, anoo! Hence shoonya [atom] creates infinite and makes every thing to shoonya [in atomic form]. Considering this philosophy Aryaabhataa used symbol of circle to represent shoonya, putting it against figure, value can be made unlimited. Also multiply with shoonya and you get shoonya [value]. That is as per Upnishat philosophy.
    I request my friends to read a book by FRITJOF CAPRA,[PhD in theoretical physics, done research in high-energy physics in several American and European universities] “THE TAO OF PHYSICS”. It is about an exploration of parallels between modern physics and eastern mysticism. Publisher – Flamingo.

  85. Facts with Zero
    19 facts have zero as one of the addends
    NEED: rope with knots, hopscotch if desired or numbers to tape to floor.
    Use rope with knots: One end is 0 and the other end is 10. Have students start on one number then you say +1, +2 or +0 and see what happens. point out that at +0 the student doesn’t move.
    Same idea can be carried out with hopscotch or numbers taped on floor. Children hop forward O, 1, or 2.

    Counting On/Back
    Used when one addend is 1, 2 or 3. Why not with higher numbers?

    Use rope from above and add counting on or use number line
    Put big number in your head and then count on. Model with pictures on overhead
    Use spinner for choral response

    NEED: transparent spinner with 1 more, two more, +1, +2…overhead cards 4-9.
    Use spinner with one more and two more. Pull card from deck of 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. After roll children should say 4 and 2 more are 6.

    Doubles
    There are 10 doubles facts from 0+0 to 9+9
    NEED: Two of Everything, mirrors, beans, pictures to coincide with doubles, large sheets paper for teacher pictures, doubles pictures, calculators
    Have teachers brainstorm at tables and prepare poster for doubles. Take few minutes to share.
    Use book Two of Everything.Let children place certain number of beans in front of them and them put mirror in front. Since mirror gives reflection, it actually shows double. Have children record doubles fact and what they see in mirror.
    Have children construct doubles anchor chart
    Calculator doubles: Use calculator to enter doubles maker 2 x1=2 then enter any number and decide on response if this number is doubled. press = and check response. Enter another number (no need to reenter 2X)

    Doubles Plus 1 (also known as Near Doubles)
    Includes all combinations where one addend is one more than the other. The strategy is to double the smaller number and add 1. Be sure children understand the doubles strategy before starting this strategy.

    Have children model double: 2 red bears plus two red bears. Then add green bear to one side. Have them pick out hidden double.
    Give children set of dominos and ask them to pick out doubles, doubles + 1 and then choose two to write about. Good for assessment

    PRACTICE STRATEGY SELECTION
    Roll dice and put under correct label: doubles, doubles plus one , zero or counting on
    NEED: Two die per set of teachers (give with # and dots), dominos depending on age of children and conceptual understanding, give 2 dice (# or dots) roll 2 dice… use recording sheet labeled DOUBLE, DOUBLES +1,Zero Fact or Counting on
    Children roll 2 dice and decide if it represents a double, double +1 etc.
    Children take turns until they have rolled 25 times. Each time they should record problem under correct column. They should tally how many of each were rolled.

    Make a Ten
    Used when one of the addends is 8 or 9
    Use large ten frame on ground and have children step on it and model.
    Then, have children use ten frame and model with partner
    Need: Visqueen Ten Frame, paper plates for large ten frame, one die with all 8s and 9s and regular die individual ten frames

    Facts for Ten (Ten Frame Facts)
    These include facts that add to 10.
    Read Ten Black Dots
    NEED: ten frames with dots, blank overheads, vis a vis marker, overhead ten frame and markers, decks of cards- 1 per pair, overhead cards (A-9), ten frame on visqueen
    show ten frames and have children tell how many without counting. Then challenge them to tell how many more are needed to make a ten. Record on overhead their responses. Use children in place of beans.

    Use only ace-9 cards (ace =1). Shuffle in place turned over on desk. Turn top card over. Each student takes turn turning over card. If he she can make a ten, using two cards, he/she gets to keep the cards. Next player turns over card. If can’y make a sum of ten, card stays on desk and play continues to next person who flips card and tries to make a 10 with any of the cards showing.

    PRACTICE STRATEGY SELECTION
    Two Dice Bump, Three Dice
    4×4 Sum
    Ten Plus Facts (by definition not a basic fact, but like to include)
    These are addition problems where one addend is a ten.

    NEED: double ten frames on overhead, overhead markers of two different colors.
    Model 10 +6 on overhead and several other 10+ facts. have children determine how alike and how different.. Have them generate rule for adding numbers to 10.

    Make a Ten Facts
    These facts have at least one addend of 8 or 9. The strategy is to build onto the 8 or 9 up to 10 and then add on the rest. For 6+8 think: start with 8 and 2 more makes 10 that leaves 4 more so the answer is 14. Before using this strategy make sure children have been practicing thinking of numbers such as 11 as 10 and 1 more or 18 as 10 and 8 more.
    NEED: double 10 frames on visqueen, double ten frame on overhead and one per participant
    choose a fact with 8 or 9 as addend; 8+4. Have 8 stand on one 10 frame and 4 on the other. Ask children what could be dome to make this problem easier and build on something they know.

    As practice for all strategies:

    Place problems on overhead and have children discuss among themselves which strategy they would use and then discuss as whole class.
    In sets by strategies, make cards that have number on one side and answer on the other. For example, 2 and 4, 3 and 6, 4 and 8. have children pass through “function box” When they come out on other side have students tell what happen to the number they went in with. record as each enters and exits under in and out. Do for doubles, doubles plus one, zero, one more, two more

    Other Strategies and the Last 6 Facts
    The above 5 strategies account for 88 of the 100 basic facts. The remaining 12 are really only six facts and their respective turn arounds.

    Doubles Plus Two or Two Apart Facts
    Of the remaining six facts, three have addends that differ by two. There are two approaches:
    o some children extend the knowledge of doubles plus one to doubles plus two 4+6 is double 4 plus two more which equals 10.
    o others take one from the larger addend and give it to the smaller addend. Thus the 4+6 fact becomes the double 5 fact (give one from the 6 to the 4) which equals 10.

    Make Ten Extended
    Three of the six facts have 7 as one of the addends. Often the Make A Ten Strategy is extended to these facts. Thus for 7+5, think 7+3=10 and 2 more is 12.

    Counting On
    Counting on is taught as a strategy for all facts that have a 1, 2, or 3 as an addend.

    Subtraction Facts
    Subtraction as Think Addition
    The child uses known addition facts to produce the unknown quantity or part. For 9-4 think: 4 + ? is 9. This strategy is appropriate for subtraction facts with sums of 10 or less.
    Facts with Zero
    This set includes those involving minus zero (7-0) and those with a difference of zero (7-7).

    One Less Than, Two Less Than
    This group includes all facts with differences of 1 or 2 (8-7, 8-6) as well as those that involve -1 or -2 (8-1, 8-2). When teaching this strategy, frequently follow one fact with its partner. That is, follow 9-2 with 9-7 and discuss how these facts are alike. Then write the 7+2=9 fact. Help children see how the two more than and two less than relationships are involved in both facts.

    Ten Frame facts
    This group includes all facts with the first number of 10 (10-7), those involving -5 (8-5) and those with a difference of 5 (8-3).
    Doubles and Near Doubles
    This group refers to the addition facts of the same name. For 12 – 6 think: 6+6 =12. 9
    For 9-4 think: 4+4 = 8 and 4+5 =9 so 9-4+5.
    Subtracting 9
    Picture a Ten Frame. Take one away and add on the extras. For 15-9 think: 15 equals one ten frame and 5 more. Take nine off the ten frame and you have 1 in the Ten frame plus the 5 left over = 6.

    As a number zero.

    0 is the integer immediately preceding 1. In most cultures, 0 was identified before the idea of negative things that go lower than zero was accepted. Zero is an even number,[4] because it is divisible by 2. 0 is neither positive nor negative. By some definitions 0 is also a natural number, and then the only natural number not to be positive. Zero is a number which quantifies a count or an amount of null size.
    The value, or number, zero is not the same as the digit zero, used in numeral systems using positional notation. Successive positions of digits have higher weights, so inside a numeral the digit zero is used to skip a position and give appropriate weights to the preceding and following digits. A zero digit is not always necessary in a positional number system, for example, in the number 02. In some instances, a leading zero may be used to distinguish a number.

  86. darko wrote:
    these all are not the real facts..zero is invented by Turks..not indians..

    Darko is in the dark about who invented Zero. Its the Indians who invented and just because you mentioned that the Turks invented does not change history dude!

  87. Just a clarification,
    The scientist who invented the zero is an Arab called Al-Khawarizmi.
    He also invented algebra, algorithms…
    Just type in his name in google and you will be amazed of him.

  88. The decimal system was introduced 1,500 years ago by Indian mathematician/astronomer Aryabhata. He sat up in bed one morning and exclaimed, “Sthanam sthanam dasa gunam” (place to place in 10 times in value).
    During Aryabhata’s time, the Jain text “Lokavibhaga” used decimal place-value system including Sanskrit numeral words for the digits, with word for zero as “shunya” (empty). The first known use of special glyphs for the decimal numbers including the indubitable appearance of a symbol for “zero”, a small circle, appeares on a 1,125 years old stone inscription found at the Chaturbhuja Temple at Gwalior – a city in Madhya Pradesh 125km south of Agra.
    The Hindu-Arabic numerals and the positional number system were introduced 1,175 years ago in an arithmetic book “al-Kitab al-mukhtasar fi hisab al-jabr wa’l-muqabala” written by Abu Abdallah Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi (Persian mathematician, astronomer and geographer from Baghdad). This book synthesized Persian, Babylonian, Indian and Greek knowledge and also contained his own fundamental contribution to Algebra and Arithmetic, including an explanation of the use of digit “zero”. 350 years later the Arabic numeral system was introduced to Europe through Latin translations of Musa al-Khwarizmi’s book causing a profound impact on the advance of mathematics and science in Europe. “Algorithm” was derived from the Latinized forms of Musa al-Khwarizmi’s name “Algoritmi”.

  89. sagar wrote:

    darko wrote:
    this all are not the real facts..zero is invented by Turks..not indians..

    U need to get some information from internet.LOL

    rajiv wrote:

    darko wrote:
    these all are not the real facts..zero is invented by Turks..not indians..

    Darko is in the dark about who invented Zero. Its the Indians who invented and just because you mentioned that the Turks invented does not change history dude!

    LOL….:D

  90. Zero was invented in INDIA by the clever person i.e.
    Aryabhatta.

    get to know this point. all comments except my comment are typen deliberatily

  91. in history you can say about zero as it stands for whole but actually it becomes nothing. also when we multiply it to any other number that becomes also zero that is its logic, but it is very powerful than any other number. So would you like to tell me who is the originator of zero in mathematics?

  92. Afghanistan Banana Man wrote:
    Good point Afghan Banana Man. Since around 3100 bce things have been developing all over, like writing, mathematics, calendars, astronomy, pyramids, etc.

    I’m sure India is a great country, just like the rest of our world. They were colonized, and Ghandi helped make things right, and so did the Eastern European, Mother Theresa.

    God Bless.

    Group:

    I still stand with my 2009 comments. Humans will develop technologically at the same rate, unless hindered by outside influences.
    The tortilla, roti, nan, parata and flatbread have all the same ingredients and prepared in a like fashion. People use what that have to made it work for them.
    Someone said that if humans were born with 12 fingers, we would have a numbering system based on 12 and it would seem natural. 12 dimes to 1 Dollar.
    I do wonder about the shape of the number “5” in Arabic. It looks like a zero. Any comments?

    yeah that the man arabs always say ‘invented MATH’ wasn’t even born until almost the year 800!! I am tired of Arabs and muslims trying to steal credit for things invented by Indians (and no I am not Indian, I am Swedish/German/Scottish) or other peoples. They routinely degrade India, denounce their inventions, and call them primitive. I’m just sick of it and I am sick of their stupid lies.

  93. sagar wrote:

    sagar wrote:

    darko wrote:
    this all are not the real facts..zero is invented by Turks..not indians..

    U need to get some information from internet.LOL

    rajiv wrote:

    darko wrote:
    these all are not the real facts..zero is invented by Turks..not indians..

    Darko is in the dark about who invented Zero. Its the Indians who invented and just because you mentioned that the Turks invented does not change history dude!

    LOL….:D

    sagar wrote:

    sagar wrote:

    darko wrote:
    this all are not the real facts..zero is invented by Turks..not indians..

    U need to get some information from internet.LOL

    rajiv wrote:

    darko wrote:
    these all are not the real facts..zero is invented by Turks..not indians..

    Darko is in the dark about who invented Zero. Its the Indians who invented and just because you mentioned that the Turks invented does not change history dude!

    LOL….:D

    Let’s be real here!! The only thing the TURKS ever invented was ‘invade & conquer’ and then later ‘kill everyone not Turk, deny this, claim ownership of all their inventions’. Turks have invented NOTHING.

  94. Manzoor Memon wrote:
    in history you can say about zero as it stands for whole but actually it becomes nothing. also when we multiply it to any other number that becomes also zero that is its logic, but it is very powerful than any other number. So would you like to tell me who is the originator of zero in mathematics?

    So, what, you didn’t read the article? It was invented in India, probably so long ago they don’t even know who first brought it up. But they have empirical evidence, based on manuscripts, etc., that ‘zero’ was already in USE in India long ago – WELL BEFORE THE ARAB man that everyone claims ‘invented’ zero and then try to act like no one else ever would have or could have invented it.

    Factually, most things like written language, math, astronomy, agriculture, the use of saddles, gunpowder & many other things are proven to have been ‘being developed’ simultaneously across many races, countries, and continents.

    Although China is given credit for the invention of gunpowder, the arabs claim that as well & then some historical evidence shows a european man was working on the same combination of ingredients around the same time.

  95. Aylool wrote:
    Just a clarification,
    The scientist who invented the zero is an Arab called Al-Khawarizmi.
    He also invented algebra, algorithms…
    Just type in his name in google and you will be amazed of him.

    WRONG! Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi was not BORN until the year 780.

    The Nagari number system of 1 through 0 was invented by Indians and they began using this sytem around the year 600. This number system spread to the Middle East around the year 800.

    ZERO was used also used in astronomy & astrology calculations in India as early as 4th century B.C.!!! But the written numbers with zero began usage in 600.

    ALGEBRA was invented by a mathematician named Diophantus, who lived in ancient Alexandria around 200 AD, that is a full 600 years before al-Khwarizmi was 20, the year 800.

    Al-Khwarizmi was a mathematician, an astronomer, and a math teacher.
    He studied the works of EUCLID, Diophantus, and also hindu astronomy and numerical system.

    He wrote a book called The book “Hesabolhend,” that explained the Indian calculation system, when translated into Latin the title is:
    Algorithmi the Numero Indorium.
    Algoritmi de numero Indorum written by Al-Khwarizmi is also called Hindu Art of Reckoning, and gave rise to the word algorithm deriving from his name in the title. The work describes the Hindu place-value system of numerals based on 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 0

    He did not invent ZERO, Algebra, OR Algorithms. He did study them and write many teaching books about the subjects. He also expanded on some equations.
    Algorithms were invented by Euclid and are called the Euclid Algorithm. He is the father of Geometry.
    Al-Biruni wrote: What we [the Arabs] use for numerals is a selection of the best and most regular figures in India. (the nagari number system)

    YOU arab mother ****ers need to stop lying about that, and besides, Al-Khwarizmi was PERSIAN and was a Zoroastrian in his early life, probably force converted to Islam, and was not an arab in any way shape or form. I am sick of hearing about arabs invented this and that, and they really didn’t invent SHIT.

  96. All you guys are wrong. Zero was invented by buddha. He is the great grand father of a sexy chick on my next door. I saw the zero symbol in her ass. She said that was inherited by her from her great grandfather buddha.

  97. Just to remind you that the mayans also came with the idea of zero. The spaniard scientists were amazed to find that. Cheers

  98. i agree with AVI that zero was only and only invented by a great indian mathematician named Aryabhatt…evn the concept of decimals was given by India…no afgans or turks invented zero…it ws just Aryabhatt

  99. The post is pretty interesting. I really never thought I could have a good read by this time until I found out this site.
    harboursharks

  100. look guys anyone got any facts about the number zero i need some mathematical facts that are (TRUE)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thnx i would like about 5 tht are different

  101. Dear Indians, How It Feels When Some One Else Claims Your Pride As Their ??

    We Nepalese Feels Same In The Case Of Lord Buddha And Kapilbvastu-Lumbini, Kalapani, Sushta, Darjeeling, Kumaon, Gahrwal .. And Yesss In The Case Of CNN Hero Anuradha Koirala !!

    LoL .. And I Heard That You Are Claiming mt. Everest Too .. Bloody Loosers !!

    *Sorry For My Bad English *

  102. was aryabhatta his original name.i heard my friend saying he was also called as brahmaguptha.is it true??????????????

  103. i am doing research on zero. I have seventeen facts and 1 will share two.
    1. zero is neither positive nor negative.
    2. we have not yet discovered what zero zeroth` s mean and also zero to the power of zero.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*

Latest from Technology Facts

kirlian photography

Kirlian Photography

Man has forever been captivated by photography and the ability to be
Placeholder

Facts About Linux

Linus Benedict Torvalds, a 21 year old Finnish college student created operating
sputnik1

Sputnik 1 Facts

The Sputnik Program, more commonly known as “companion”, is a group of
Go to Top