Facts About Wolf Spiders

Are Wolf Spiders Poisonous?

Wolf Spiders biologically known as Lycosa Godeffroyi is the most common spider found easily in the gardens and homes. The wolf spiders got their name from wolf because they catch the prey in the similar way (stalking and ambushing). They do not make a web for themselves and live on the ground. The common characteristics of the wolf spider are that they are of about one to two inches of length. They are quite brisk and rush quickly on the ground. When it comes to the color of the wolf spider the males are found to be darker than females that have distinguished marks. The wolf spiders have eight legs; males have an extra pair near the mouth to hold sperm.

They have eight pairs of eyes; four pairs of small eyes to help them see in the night, two pairs of big eyes to look in front and two pairs of medium sized eyes placed on the top to see upwards. At the back of their eyes a disc is located that enables them to see at night. When it comes to hunting the wolf spiders either stalk their prey or attack them suddenly. They learn of their prey through their movement on the ground or the buzzing of their wings. They eat varieties of insects but are fond of crickets, cockroaches, grasshoppers and houseflies. Female spider carries almost hundred of eggs in a sac and exposes them to sunlight. When the eggs hatch the spider lings catch a hair on the mother’s body and stay this way for a week and then disperse. The wolf spiders do not attack unless provoked. Their bites are not dangerous but at times it causes swellings, irritations, nausea and headache.

Wolf Spiders are found throughout the globe and can be found in both coastal and inland areas.  They generally live in solitude and do not attack unless provoked repeatedly.

How Big Are Wolf Spiders?

They generally range in size from 0.25 inches to 1.5 inches and there are as many as 3,000 species on record across the globe.

Does A Wolf Spider Bite?

If you encounter a wolf spider in your home there is no need to panic.  The type and amount of venom is not seriously harmful to humans.  Children and elderly should be given more consideration.  The venom has low neurotoxic action.

In general, wolf spiders do not want to bite or attack human beings.  They typically will not bite a human unless seriously provoked.  If threatened they may attack.  Be careful about the urge to squish a wolf spider.  That may cause the disbursement of hundreds of spiderlings as they run away from their mother.

Visit here for more info on dealing with wolf spider bits.

fact image

Quotes:  https://www.interestingfacts.org/category/quotes

Definitions: https://www.interestingfacts.org/category/definition

wolf spider

Nature Facts:  https://www.interestingfacts.org/category/nature-facts

World Facts:  https://www.interestingfacts.org/category/world-facts

Science Facts:  https://www.interestingfacts.org/category/science-facts

Information:  https://www.google.com

Things To Do:  https://www.seatsforeveryone.com/blog

wolf spiders

A Wolf Spider and her cubs from nope

 

Cute little wolf spider i found in my house. from awwnverts

16 Comments on “Facts About Wolf Spiders”

  1. these spiders are very odd in their shape and characters.
    the really thing which surprised me the number of their organs generally inspite of their small size.

  2. I’m raising a wolf spider hatchling. It’s so interesting to watch them hunt. They’re amazing and truly skilled, even from birth.

  3. Tierra wrote:

    dominic wrote:
    hi im dominic i am 9 years old i need help for facts about wolf spiders for school please help! 🙂

    Faleasha wrote:
    I’m raising a wolf spider hatchling. It’s so interesting to watch them hunt. They’re amazing and truly skilled, even from birth.

    i think thats really cool (:, So they could hunt like when they are born or what?

    I think that you should know that a Wolf Spider do not attack unless it’s provoked. Good luck though ya’ll. 🙂

  4. dominic wrote:
    hi im dominic i am 9 years old i need help for facts about wolf spiders for school please help! 🙂

    Faleasha wrote:
    I’m raising a wolf spider hatchling. It’s so interesting to watch them hunt. They’re amazing and truly skilled, even from birth.

    i think thats really cool (:, So they could hunt like when they are born or what?

  5. I’m sorry but I’m a future arachniologist and these facts are entirely inaccurate. Wolf spiders DO use webs but they DO kill their prey differently by going on their back and catching their prey like a basket and then biting them to immobilize them then finish them off. They’re called wolf spiders because the similarity of the color between a timber wolf and a wolf spiders fur color. Spiders don’t hunt in packs in fact most spiders avoid or attack one another. And males don’t have extra legs! NO SPIDERS HAVE MORE OR LESS THAN 8 LEGS!!! Sry I’m not trying to be disrespectful or offensive just correcting this for people in need of true facts

  6. John wrote:
    I’m sorry but I’m a future arachniologist and these facts are entirely inaccurate. Wolf spiders DO use webs but they DO kill their prey differently by going on their back and catching their prey like a basket and then biting them to immobilize them then finish them off. They’re called wolf spiders because the similarity of the color between a timber wolf and a wolf spiders fur color. Spiders don’t hunt in packs in fact most spiders avoid or attack one another. And males don’t have extra legs! NO SPIDERS HAVE MORE OR LESS THAN 8 LEGS!!! Sry I’m not trying to be disrespectful or offensive just correcting this for people in need of true facts

    Male spiders do have what can appear to be two false legs, they’re called pedipalps and they use them to store sperm. Also might be cool to know that while the large magority of spiders do avoid eachother not all spiders do; infact Anelosimus eximius is a spider which belongs to the ‘social spider’ family, they group webs together in the 100’s to take down large prey which they will even share amoungst themselves! 🙂

  7. They are called the “Wolf Spider” because someone named it so.
    Could have easily been the “Reinforced hairy scary looking freak spider that jumps at people for excitement resulting in a doctor visit due to blunt force trauma to the face caused by self.. Spider”

    -DJ Fat Steve
    Google me 😉

    1. If u feed him then he will adapt to pet like within a few weeks unless u still make it hunt but if it stops hunting and u let it go it will loose that skill theoretically and may die of starvation. That goes for all animals.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *