Formed in 1901 as Baltimore Orioles, the New York Yankees were among the earliest franchise clubs in the history of American baseball. The New York Yankees are known for their professional gameplay and exceptional execution tactics. The ‘Yankees’ in the title is derived from the word ‘yank’ meaning – strong jerk. It was given by New York sports editor – Jim Price. Bitter rivals in Boston, who play at historic Fenway Park, likely agree with the strong jerk linkage and SMH.
The team is owned by American businessman, Harold Steinbrenner. Since 1903 till 2019, the New York Yankees have played a total of 117 seasons of baseball. To know more about the team closely, here are some interesting facts about them. We hope you adore them even more after a glimpse of what’s written below.
- The official name New York Yankees was adopted in 1913; earlier the team was called New York Highlanders.
- The New York Yankees have won the highest number of championship titles among other MLB teams in America.
- The Yankees are worth $4.6 billion and are the second most valued teams among others.
- Legendary baseball players like Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio, and Wait Hoyt were part of the New York Yankees during the 1920s and 1930s. Many lived vicariously through the lives of these legendary NY Yankees.
- The New York Yankees have won 40 American pennants and 19 American East Division titles.
Have you seen all of the other amazing and interesting facts about sports here? Check out the LA Dodgers, Houston Astros, Boston Celtics, Los Angeles Lakers, Houston Rockets, Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Mavericks, plus amazing performers like Post Malone, Lizzo, and Billie Eilish.