What is Wagyu Beef?
Wagyu originated from Japan and is one of the best meats in the world. The name initially means Japanese Cow, where Wa= Japanese and Gyu= Cow. But Wagyu is not used for all breeds of Japanese cows. There are four native varieties of Japanese Cow but what we eat is the most exquisite variety.
What Makes Wagyu Unique?
- Marbled texture: This is the most unique and distinctive feature of this meat. This marbling texture refers to layers of intramuscular fat that are visible. The fat is not found in muscles.
Because of the unique genetic makeup of the cow, the meat contains a higher percentage of fatty acids than the ordinary ones. This gives a high marbling score and makes the meat flavorsome, tender, and juicy.
- They are high in fat: As we mentioned before, Wagyu beef has high amounts of fat. The first thing that comes to our mind when we hear the word “fat” is that it is detrimental to health and should be avoided. But, the fat found in Wagyu is beneficial.
They have high concentrations of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and more monounsaturated fat than ordinary beef. This fat gives a distinctive flavor and texture to the meat.
What is the history of Wagyu in America?
Morris Whitney brought four Wagyu bulls from Japan to America in 1976, and American Wagyu was born when these bulls were crossbred with American Angus cattle.
After that, four black Wagyu cows were brought to the US to allow full-blooded breeding of the Wagyu. But after some years, Japan, from where the Wagyu cattle originated, banned the export of this breed.
What Are The Conditions Under Which Wagyu Cattle Are Kept And Raised?
Here are some conditions under which Wagyu cows are kept, and Wagyu meat is produced:
- The cow’s movement is limited.
- They are force-fed to produce fatty and tender meat.
- Farmers ensure that these animals are kept in a stress-free environment from birth to harvest because stress produces cortisol which degrades the quality of the meat.
- The noise level is controlled so that animals don’t get scared.
What are the types of Wagyu Beef?
Why Is Wagyu Beef So Expensive?
American wagyu picanha has the best Wagyu beef, and it can cost up to $200 per pound. But it is expensive because of how the cattle are maintained and brought up. First, the young cattle are fed by hand while the older ones are grazed on an open pasture. Then, a genetic test is done, and cows with the best genetics are allowed to stay in the reproductive lineup while others are removed.
We have tried to cover up all the information you would like to know while trying out the best wagyu beef NY strip. The marbled texture and high concentration of good fat in the beef make it incredibly moist and soft, which melts quickly.