When you buy upholstery furniture for your home, you first think about its colour. Most homeowners claim this to be the single factor that determines the selection of furniture. Experts in home décor state, colour is important. However, other factors are significant as well. Let us take a look at them below-
The durability of the fabric depends upon the furniture you buy, the room where it will be used, and the whole family’s personal preferences, in case pets and children live in the home. The choice of fabric should reflect the above factors.
- Woven patterns last longer than printed ones. This also applies to tight weaves and thread counts. Thread counts refer to the number of threads in the fabric for every square inch. Denser fabrics also last longer.
- Select a fabric based on who will be using the furniture. For example, if you are sharing a sofa with your pets, consider leather or fabrics made of microfiber as they are able to withstand additional wear and tear.
- The durability of the fabric is vital too if you use the chair or sofa on a daily basis. For furniture outside the house, make sure you invest in durable outdoor furniture covers.
Select a fabric that complements the interior décor and the furniture piece in your home. The fabric should be in harmony with the character of the piece and the style of the home. For example, a traditional fabric goes well with homes with a conventional style. Again, if you want to get creative, you can emerge both modern and conventional styles to create a sense of adventure in the home.
- Some fabrics look casual while others formal. You should select the fabric that reflects the mood and style of the décor in the room.
- Consider the patterns. It should be ideal for the size of the furniture piece that is to be covered as well as the room size. Large bold patterns work well with bigger rooms, and for smaller rooms, small muted patterns work fine.
Colour is the first thing that comes into your mind when you are choosing fabrics for your home. It does have a significant influence on your home décor, especially if you are choosing it for a large piece of furniture like a sofa that is the focal point of the room.
- Ensure your choice of colour is something you will like and can use for a number of years in the future.
- Neutrals are always a safe bet, especially if the furniture piece is large.
- Avoid gentle and delicate fabrics if you have pets and small children.
- Avoid trendy and bright colours unless you are fond of them.
Last but not least, before you buy upholstery furniture, ensure they are fade-resistant, mildew resistant, will prevent allergies and are pet-friendly if you have pets in the home. Check the environment of the house, ensure the space of free from damp and extreme sunlight. Avoid light coloured fabrics if you have pets and children to make them last for a long time.