Numbers And Words

If you spell all the numbers and try to find letter “A” you will have to count to thousAnd. Did you know that: 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321. Also 1,741,725 = 17 + 77 + 47 + 17 + 77 + 27 + 57. There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.

35 Comments on “Numbers And Words”

  1. lol avram.

    Just ’cause some people don’t bother to move their tounges properly, doesn’t mean it changes what the word actually is.

    Furthermore, it literally is “and”.

    one hundered AND one.

    🙂

  2. Haha, the intelligience of people these days amazes me. One hundred And 1 would be 100.1. In a number represents a decimal. So, all you guys saying they’re stupid, they’re right. In fact, you could start with 0. Zero And 1 tenth. Which would be 0.1. But, of course, the people who said one hundred AND one, left the tenth out. 😉

  3. Ummm, how about reading the fact one more time and realizing that what it means is the following: you would need to count to “thousand” to find the first “A” in the spelled out letters. Thousand and one comes AFTER thousand. No one said that “thousand” is the ONLY spelled out number that has an “A” out of ALL; it’s only the first one, people!!!

  4. Actually, just about all English-speaking people expect the USA (UK, Australia, India etc.) would say “one hundred and one” for 101, “two hundred and thirty-six” for 236 etc. For it doesn’t apply to standard English.

  5. JOE
    just think – the last numerals are 1… so 1*1 is nothing but 1… so it’s impossible to get 0 as the last numeral… :p

  6. joe wrote: #
    actually

    111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,320

    not

    12,345,678,987,654,321

    111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321 is correct

  7. actually we were taught in 6th grade that the correct way to pronounce a number like 101 is one hundred one. not one hundred and one. one hundred and one would be 100.1

  8. The proper way to say 101 using the English language is ‘One hundred and one”, lazy Americans might of skipped out the and because they couldn’t be bothered to say one syllable.

    Anyway, ‘one hundred one’ just sounds weird to me…

    Vanessa wrote: #
    Haha, the intelligience of people these days amazes me. One hundred And 1 would be 100.1. In a number represents a decimal. So, all you guys saying they’re stupid, they’re right. In fact, you could start with 0. Zero And 1 tenth. Which would be 0.1. But, of course, the people who said one hundred AND one, left the tenth out. 😉

    No, you’re wrong. Stop trying to be a smartass and use your common sense. 101 is one hundred with a one added on, hence why we call it ‘one hundred and one’. And if teachers in America really are saying that ‘one hundred one’ is correct then I seriously worry about their education standards and I’d watch out where you send your kids.

  9. The And is only added to make it sound more pleasing, you wouldnt say thirty and one for 31 so technically one hundred one is correct and follows the same pattern set by the preceeding numbers

  10. You fools its the english, language they invented it. Dont try argue the correctness of a language created by the country you were originally a colony of.
    One hundred and one is one hundred (100) and one whole (1) which makes…. 101…
    100.1 would be one hundred and one tenth…

    Just because america decides to change some words doesnt make everyone else wrong, America, in changing words are no longer speaking english they are speaking american or american-english. English is english because its how the english speak.

    And by the way , when shunning someone elses intelligence it generally helps to:
    A. actually be right in the first place
    B. spell intelligence right.

    shapow!

  11. To ‘will’ & ‘The Monarchy’:
    According to the Wikimedia Foundation’s dictionary, one hundred and one is the British “preferred” format, although both versions are acceptable.
    Furthermore, a collection of dictionaries, linked through
    dictionary.com, shows that the word ‘and’ has a multiplicity of meanings, including: besides, also, then, to, but, if (Random House & Houghton Mifflin dictionaries). On the same page, the etymology of ‘and’ is listed: the original English meaning is “thereupon, next”, though it traces its origins from the proto-Germanic (also known as pre-Germanic; similar to the difference between Old English & Modern English).
    Also, The Monarchy said “English is english because its how the english speak”. According to the creators of the Oxford Dictionary, American English terms enter the Oxford Dictionary before they enter British English. Oxford also explains that standardized English is spread by media & internet, while British English is only a regional standard for the English language.
    Finally, (to “The Monarchy”), a language is not “created”, it is constantly developing. English is much different than it was 100 years ago, vastly different from 500 years ago, and is still changing. Take your own advice…

  12. you know what?! let’s just agree with will and The Monarchy and i quote The Monarchy

    One hundred and one is one hundred (100) and one whole (1) which makes…. 101…

    following his argument, let’s just apply it to every numerals.. say, (11) will be ten and one instead of eleven.. (21) twenty and one instead of twenty one.. (1329) one thousand and three hundred and twenty and one..

  13. joe wrote: #
    actually

    111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,320

    not

    12,345,678,987,654,321

    Actually it is clear to me that you are mistaken buddy, if you did use a calculator or did the multiplication by hand you should get an answer of 12345678987654321. You can never get that last number to be a zero ‘0’ because you multiply the first 1*1 you will get one ‘1’. Then the coming rows in the multiplication shift to the left.

    111111111
    x111111111
    ———–
    111111111
    111111111
    111111111
    111111111
    111111111
    111111111
    111111111
    111111111
    +111111111
    ———————
    12345678987654321
    This is grade school math. Thank you.

  14. Interesting comments, especially by The Monarchy. It’s not the English language, we all speak it differently. For example, here in Australia instead of saying “One hundred AND one” we would say “Fuck countin’ that high mate, now piss off quick and get me another beer champ. Good on ya. She’ll be right. Wanker”. Ahhh, stereotypes. Sigh.

  15. to all the people saying one hundred and one would be 100.1 you are wrong, 100.1 would be one hundred point one, it is a decimal point indicating the move from whole numbers to fractions, one hundred and one would be written 101, although it could also be spoken as one oh one or one zero one so the fact can still work.

  16. Actually the proper way to say 101 is “One Hundred One” There is no “and” when properly speaking of any number.

  17. Yes, simple math can see last number multiply by 1 is having answer ending with 1 and multiplying with zero, answer is always with zero ending, no matter how big or small are figures.
    Another point is saying 101 in any form is just presenting figures not value. But mathematically “One hundred and one” is always a addition value as 100+1=101.

  18. Al wrote:

    joe wrote: #
    actually

    111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,320

    not

    12,345,678,987,654,321

    Actually it is clear to me that you are mistaken buddy, if you did use a calculator or did the multiplication by hand you should get an answer of 12345678987654321. You can never get that last number to be a zero ‘0’ because you multiply the first 1*1 you will get one ‘1’. Then the coming rows in the multiplication shift to the left.

    111111111
    x111111111
    ———–
    111111111
    111111111
    111111111
    111111111
    111111111
    111111111
    111111111
    111111111
    +111111111
    ———————
    12345678987654321
    This is grade school math. Thank you.

    Yes, you are right, simple math shows answer ending with 1. Another point, what we say “one O one” or anything like that is only presentation of number. Mathematically “One hundred and one” is 100+1=101.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *