4 Signs Your Household Water Isn’t Safe To Drink

4 Signs Your Household Water Isn’t Safe To Drink

Water is the fundamental beverage everybody should drink daily. If you’re concerned about the quality of your drinking water, continue reading to learn four signs that your household water isn’t safe to drink.

Metallic Taste

There are a variety of issues that can cause your water to have a metallic taste. One of these issues is the presence of various metals, such as iron, copper, lead, and zinc. Old, rusty metal pipes can release metals into the water you drink at home. Iron is the least dangerous metal to consume, while lead and zinc can have an immense negative impact on health.

Another cause for a metallic taste in water is low pH levels. A pH level of less than seven indicates acidity. This acidity is detrimental to one’s health and can cause illnesses.

Cloudy Water

Clean, contaminant-free water appears clear. If your water looks cloudy, it may contain sediment. Sediment is the material that settles at the bottom of a body of water, including clay, silt, and sand.

While sediment is naturally occurring, it potentially threatens your home’s pipes and drinking water. Metal pipes deteriorate over time. Sediment is harmful when exposed to lead and can further infuse metals into your water supply.

Chlorine or Sulfur Smells

Have you ever noticed that your water smells a little funny? There are two leading causes for these smells: chlorine and sulfur.

Chlorine removes bacteria from the water. Since drinking water comes from groundwater sources, chlorine helps disinfect it from harmful bacteria. You may have noticed a bleach smell coming from your water; this means there is an excess amount of chlorine in the water. Low levels of chlorine aren’t dangerous, but they can become hazardous when exposed to other organic compounds to create toxic byproducts.

Sulfur is a naturally occurring substance that can combine with water in the ground. As the water containing sulfur rushes from a faucet, it emits a rotten egg or sewage smell. Small amounts of sulfur aren’t harmful, but large quantities can significantly affect one’s health. High levels can cause symptoms such as dehydration and diarrhea.

Discolored Water

If you ever see yellow, orange, or brown water flowing from the faucet in your home, do not drink it! In some households, the water may run discolored at first before running clear. No matter the case, you want to wait and test the water before drinking.

The water might contain contaminants such as rust, iron, or bacteria. Frequent consumption of contaminated water like this can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

If you aren’t sure if your household has contaminated water, there are ways to test your home drinking water. Testing your water at home is the best way to keep your loved ones safe and your water clean.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *